Sunday, February 12, 2012

First Weekend of Travel

We went to Pisa and Siena this weekend.  We did both as day trips.  Pisa was only an hour train ride and Siena an hour and a half.  Both trips were pretty laid back.  We didn’t have anything too specific planned so there was a lot of walking.  In Pisa we obviously saw the leaning tower.  We didn’t have a map so we were just following what we had remembered of a tourist map at the train station when the tower and cathedral came looming out from the other buildings.  It’s almost surreal to be walking down the crowded city streets and turn your head and there is an international icon to your left.  We came upon the complex with the Cathedral, the tower, the baptistery, etc. and it was a wonderful change from the city streets.  There was even grass!  When you live in Florence you come to miss grass, and trees, and living things.  Yes we did the picture.  It was quite funny to see everyone else doing it as well but out of position.  You couldn’t help but laugh.  We also went into the cathedral.  I wanted to do the audio tour but I didn’t have enough change but we looked at the paintings and chapels.  Yet another breath taking cathedral.  I’m going prepared next time for the audio/multimedia tours.  It’s much more interesting to learn while you are there than to just be the typical tourist and snap photos then leave.   There are usually some signs with info but not enough.  I’ve decided on two collections while I’m here.  One being key chains.  I started that while I was in France.   The other is a collection of post cards from everywhere I visit.  Ill keep one for myself and get another to send to my parents.  Even though the postage is ungodly expensive (1.60 for each post card to the US) I really enjoy sending post cards and I already have a long list of people I’m sending them to













































In Siena we had trouble getting started.  We attempted to start walking but realized that Siena is a city build on three meeting hills so we took a bus to the center as the train station lies on the outside of the city.  We made it though!   We followed signs to the Palazzo Publico – town square as well as the Cathedral of Siena.   The Cathedral is the most beautiful I have seen yet.  I even lit a candle and prayed while I was there.  It boasts works by Donatello, Michelangelo, Bernini and others.  So much history!  So much to write about!  This time I bought a book at the train station that had information on many of the sights.  A good investment indeed.  There were many other works that I wanted to see but didn’t get to unfortunately.  However, we did get to sample a treat native to Siena – frittelle which is rice, made into balls and deep fried then drizzled with sugar.  Delicious and only 4 for 1euro. 



































 
All in all our first trips were successful.  Saturday night I just stayed in.  Today (Sunday) I slept in, and then ran some errands.  I worked on homework and did laundry.  I think this is how most Sundays will go – homework, errands and laundry.  The weeks seem to be going by quickly.  I don’t have much homework but we will see if that persists. 

3 comments:

  1. Pictures pictures pictures! It looks so beautiful. I bet you're having a blast :) Love lots, keep taking pictures, and smile at everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is beautiful. If you ever get the chance you should plan a trip! Ill tell you everywhere you should go too :] Ill keep taking pictures and updating this and Ill smile just as you said. Love <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) Definitely. Totally jealous. That'll join my ever-growing bucket list. Italy. You'll be the official expert. ;)

    ReplyDelete