Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Monday February 13th through Wednesday February 15th

The days have gone by pretty quickly.  I think it is because I have been keeping myself busy.  My package finally arrivewd monday!  It was so exciting.  Where they list your name and the company that it is sent through my line read:  Gabrielle Roach (molto grande!) Which means very big.  It was indeed.  The biggest in the whole room but I didn't have to pay any customs fees.  The lady at the front desk asked what I had been sent so I showed her as I was unloading it into the shopping bag I had brought with me so I wouldn't have to carry the box.  Sweatshirts, longsleeve t shirts, blankies, slippers, peanut butter and lots of candy.  She said I had wonderful parents.  I must agree :]  Now my bed in like a cloud and I am very warm and comfortable.  My friend Ariel happened to be in the same building so she helped me carry things back to my apartment.  I then accompanied her to get her package but she had to pay customs fees.  Monday I also finished my first roll of film in my camera and ran some other errands.  I always get a lot done on Monday's as I only have class from 8 to 9am. 

Tuesday I had Italian and photography.  I am really beginning to enjoy Italian.  I hope I can retain it.  It connects a lot with French so I think I can.  I've also been putting to practice things we have learned in class.  Like today we learned how to order good so I practiced during my lunch break :]  Back to Tuesday though.  We learned how to develop and enlarge film.  The dark room was tricky especially when you have to be in complete darkness to load the canister to develop your negative strips.  But I got through it.  Only took me 10 minutes for one roll haha.  Ill get better with practice.  My negatives turned out well and I must say I was pretty proud of some of my pictures for being my first roll of film ever.  I enjoy film very much.  The pictures have a quality that digital just does not.  After class I came back but went back to Corso Tintori to run at the gym and develop more pictures. 













Today (Wednesday) for my Fresco Class we saw the frescos "St. Peter Healing the Sick with his Shadow, The Tribute Money and The Expulsion of Adam and Eve (in that order below)" all by Masaccio. 





My heart leapt when I found out thats what we were seeing.  All three so famous.  Still it feels surreal to be surrounded by such famous works of art.  During our studio time we learned how to mix and apply the first and second layers of mortar on a fresco and were able to practice with brush strokes and color.  After I came back to the apartment again but went to the gym and to develop film for the second day in a row.  I feel an obsession coming on.  I'm back up to four miles on the tredmill.  I can't wait for it to warm up a bit so I can run outside.  As for the photography lab, it is open most days until 7 or 8pm so I think I will have a place to spend more free time.  I also made a new friend while I was in the lab today and we are going to the chocolate festival on friday to take some pictures and enjoy the best chocolate Florence has to offer.  They even have a chocolate fondu fountain....I might die.  Maybe I already have and this is heaven.  Tonight I'm just catching up on a few things like blogging and post cards.  Watching a movie called Adam that I have been meaning to watch for at least two years.  I will write about my weekend Sunday as always. 

1 comment:

  1. I love your posts. What does "order good" mean? Your pics are beautiful!

    Love and miss you,
    Mama

    ReplyDelete