Thursday, February 9, 2012

Monday February 6 through Thursday February 9

Been having a good week so far.  Time seems to be going by pretty quickly :]  Monday's are now very open for me.  I only have my Italian class from 8 - 9 in the morning then because I dropped my Ceramics class I have the rest of the day open :]  I can't wait to get my package with my warm weather closes so I can start running.  Unfortunately it is stuck in customs.  I filled out the form to have it released so hopefully that will be soon.  I'm going to check with the school today to see if it has arrived.  Hopefully I won't have to pay fees since we specified that the items are for personal use. 

Monday after class I got caught up on some organizing and homework.  I went to the FUA Library....not impressed but the librarian finds the books for you which is nice.  I felt like I was in a movie because they have wooden desks with chairs and lamps and the librarian brings you the books you need.  Then I took notes over what I was reading.  It wasn't very interesting and blurred together but it was over Modern Art which usually doesn't hold my interest very well to begin with, at least in book form.  Lectures and movies are usually more interesting...and better written.  After I waited for Emily to get out of class so we could go to San Miniato al Monte and Piazzale Michelangelo.  San Miniato stands on one of the highest points in the city and has been described as one of the most beautiful churches in Italy.  Hell of a walk up the Hill of Florence but a wonderful workout ending with these two famous Florentine landmarks and the hike provides a panorama of the city as well as the countryside!  And what they said about San Miniato is true.  Breathtaking!  If you ever have any doubts about your faith they will be restored in Florence.  The devotion to Christ is moving and it makes me realize just how important faith is in my life.  I am brought to tears almost every time we visit a new church or museum or even just go for a walk around the city.



Tuesday - I had Italian then photography.  I am really enjoying Italian.  I have always been fond of learning languages.  I think I want to stick with it if I can when I go back and maybe refresh my french.  Its easier to learn Italian because I connect a lot of the words and grammar to the things I learned in French in high school.  In photography I took ten pages of notes during lecture.  I think I learned more in that one lecture than I have in the past three years of college, at least of new material.  After I went back to the apartment and did some busy work.  I made my great grandfather's spaghetti sauce that night, the way my mom taught me before I came over and it was splendid!  I had to run and get two more tubes, that's right tubes, of tomato paste because it was not thick enough but trial and error when things don't come in the same packages as they do at home.  I had to buy sausage and cut the meat out of the links but it tasted fine.  I attempted to find Sports Night - a program through FUA but for the second week in a row was unable to find the meeting place.  A friend in my Wednesday Fresco class is going to take me next week.

Wednesday - Again I had Italian, then my fresco class.  I don't really enjoy this class but I'll get through it.  I think it will be more interesting when we actually start painting frescoes instead of sketching and practicing with water color.  After I came home and watched How I Met Your Mother on my laptop and talked to people back home.  Pretty lazy day.  I'm finding I don't have as much homework as Emily and Jessica.  It seems like they have pretty heavy loads.  Most of my homework is in Italian or reading for my studio classes but its never much.  Even taking one roll of film per week in my photography class isn't difficult.  My other studio's we have done the homework during our lab-time...which is mandatory so its more just classwork.  I'm not complaining though.  I had pizza from Gusta Pizza.  Its one of the best pizza places in Florence and I definitely agree.  I had the margareta pizza, mmmmmmm! 



Thursday - we were supposed to go to yoga today but we didn't wake up in time.  We are definitely going next week!  I wrote three new post cards and showered.  I have class at three - installation art - but I am going to leave the apartment earlier than usual so I can take some more pictures for my film class.  After I think I'm just going to read.  We are going to Pisa tomorrow and Sienna Saturday.  I'm excited to start traveling finally!  I'm sure I will have some stories to tell about each :] 

I was feeling pretty homesick today.  It can just be very overwhelming and hard to break the cycle once you are feeling down but I tried to pull myself together and now I'm feeling a little better.

No comments:

Post a Comment